The Brooklyn district attorney’s office refused to accept the surrender of two Jewish men accused of beating an unarmed black man in Crown Heights in exchange for more lenient charges, sources told the Daily News.
A lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience dealing with the Hasidic community tried to broker the deal, sources said Wednesday.
Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes turned the lawyer away, electing to have a grand jury continue to probe the April 14 attack on Andrew Charles, a 20-year-old college student.
“This kid was first Maced and then hit by someone with a nightstick,” a source said. “It is not a misdemeanor assault no matter how you cut it.”
Charles, a sophomore at Kingsborough Community College, was walking along Albany Ave. when a white attacker on a bicycle sprayed him with Mace, police sources said.
A GMC Envoy then pulled up and a second man got out and hit Charles, the son of city cop, in the back and arm with a nightstick, police said.
An adviser to the Charles family said both attackers were wearing yarmulkes.
George Farkas, the lawyer who attempted to cut the deal with the DA’s office, said he was trying to defuse the situation.
“I don’t know who did it, and I didn’t represent to anyone that I have the power to surrender anyone,” Farkas said. “What I did do is point out the perception in the community of special treatment in this case.
”Would there be a grand jury if the kid’s father was not a cop? I think we know what the answer is,” he said.
A spokesman for Hynes declined to comment.
Hynes impaneled the grand jury after community sources said Charles’ attackers were part of Shmira, an anti-crime Crown Heights neighborhood patrol. The patrol was allegedly in the area the night of the attack answering complaints from Jewish residents that black youths, ages 11 to 13, had been hurling rocks into their yards.
Witnesses to the assault have not cooperated.
The investigative grand jury can bring perjury charges against witnesses who refuse to reveal what they saw.